One of
the most important things I’ve learned about creating an online environment
that is both engaging and collaborative, is in an instructor’s ability to
successfully set up their synchronous and/or asynchronous delivery. It directly
influences a student’s ability to connect to their peers and feel as though
they belong to a greater community of learners. Tweeting has done that for me
this semester and I felt connected to my classmates in ways that I did not
previously experience. There seem to be a sense of camaraderie and a genuine
interest in people. The support I received and observed among others on Twitter
was always encouraging. For this reason alone, I can find value in using Twitter
in higher education.
Another
aspect of tweeting that I liked, but would have filtered a little more was the
sharing of links. There were so many wonderful shares that I couldn’t keep up.
I believe that in a smaller class it would have been feasible to ask students
to share a link related to a weekly assignment and write a response or review
about the tweeted link on a discussion board. It was a real struggle sometimes
and I would have to delete words or shorten my thoughts. If another student
asked me about tweeting I would say try it out for yourself and definitely have
separate Twitter accounts for school, work, and fun (Thanks for that advice
Kealii).
No comments:
Post a Comment